26er-Ring,  nach einer historischen Straßenbahnlinie benannter Straßenring um den Innenstadtbereich. Die Linie 26 fuhr von 1925 bis 1945 ringförmig auf folgendem Straßenzug:
Ammonstraße - Könneritzstraße - Marienbrücke - Antonstraße - Glacisstraße - Albertbrücke - Sachsenallee - Günzstraße - Lennéstraße - Gellertstraße - Wiener Straße.

Ab 1976 gab es nochmals eine Linie 26, die allerdings diesen Ring nur zu etwa 3/4 umfuhr:
Zschertnitz - Parkstraße - 26er-Ring im Uhrzeigersinn bis Sachsenallee - Johannstadt. Nach diversen Streckenänderungen wurde die Linie im Jahr 2000 endgültig eingestellt. Der Name "26er-Ring" ist trotz fehlender Linie 26 umgangssprachlich noch heute in Gebrauch.

Alaunplatz,  large rectangular green belt at the edge of the Outer New Town, predominantly meadows (for the many dog owners in this district), arranged partly park-like. Local recreation area of the New Town people in the north of their district, in the south are the rose garden and the Elb meadows. With festivals like the BRN also place of event.
Alaunstraße,  North-South axis of the Outer New Town and one of the main tavern/pub miles of this quarter.

South of the road Louisenstraße also shopping street with many individual shops, in the northern section is the catering trade at home. Here a selection:

Main attraction is the complex reorganized and "popig" arranged Art yard (Kunsthof) with various little shops as well as the adjacent Yard of the animals (Hof der Tiere). Tavern visitors should come by tram because of missing parking facilities.

In 2004 the southern section between the roads Bautzner Straße and Louisenstraße were transformed on a length of 440 m into a "traffic-calmed down" shopping area.

Albert bridge,  which became the most eastern of the city center bridges leading across the river Elbe and was built in 1875-77 by Karl Manck. It is 316 m long and covers 4 currents and 5 bank bows. Destroyed in 1945 , it was named after the reconstruction "Brücke der Einheit" (bridge of the unity);, since 1990 again its original name.
Albert port,  established in 1891-96 in connection with the re-organization of the Dresden station landscape, the excavation of the 1000 x 150 m of large basin was used for the hump of the marshalling yard Dresden Friedrichstadt. The port buildings developed in 1895, in 1910 and in the 1930's and 1950's. In the last years the basin on 900 x 70 m was made smaller.

Operator is the Sächsische Binnenhäfen Oberelbe GmbH (SBO, Saxonian inland ports upper Elbe) [], a 100% daughter of the Free State Saxonia, which operates Riesa and Torgau and [via its 100% daughter Cesko saske pristavy s.r.o.(CSP)] the Czech ports Decín and Lovosice.

At the east end of the harbor basin there is a small open air museum with the barge "Waltraut" (1913), railway carriage (1910), ships and a crane from Eberswalde (1965). (Bilder in anderer Spalte öffnen). Not far away from it is the fish restaurant "Alberthafen" (Albert port).

Albertinum,  established in 1569-63 by Paul Buchner as armoury and arsenal in Renaissance style , converted in the middle of the 18th and end of the 19th century. The four-wing building is only used as a museum since its transformation in 1884-87 museal, today are the the Gallery New Masters and the Sculpture Collection in the building.
Albertplatz,  place at the seam between the Inner and Outer New Town, classizist round place plant, originally established on the grounds of the in 1812 down-torn fortress buildings in place of the "Black Gate" and in 1829 named to Bautzner Platz. The idea of the place, on which 12 roads flow, goes back to Thormeyer.

The place was back designated in 1871 in Albertplatz, in 1945 in "Platz der Roten Armee" (place of the Red Army) and 1946 in "Platz der Einheit" (place of the unity) and in 1991 again in Albertplatz.

The place is framed in open building method by buildings of different eras: classizist and buildings of art nouveau stand here in relative unity with disks buildings of the WBS 14,40 at the south and north side as well as office buildings of the "Post-Change" time at the west and east edge.

The former administration building of the DVB AG is significant, the in 1929 by Hermann Paulick established oldest "multistoried building" of Dresden and the exemplary reorganized building of the cooperative bank, the in 1902-03 built mansion Villa Eschebach. Until 1945 the Albertheater stood at the north east corner of the place.

In the midst of the circular place, separated by a modern tram- stop plant are the two fountains "quiet water" (eastern side) and "stormy waves" (west side). They were created in 1893/94 by Clemens Grundig and Robert Dietz. In place of the western fountain stood from 1945 until 1992 the Soviet honour mark (1946 by Otto Rost) stood from 1945 to approximately 1992, which was later moved and can now be seen in the Stauffenbergallee. On the northern side of the square the Artesian well can be found.

Albertstadt see Special Page Albertstadt
Albert theatre, also Neustädter Schauspielhaus,  functioned until 1913 as "royal Schauspielhaus". The in 1871-1873 by Bernhard Schreiber established theatre with 1400 seats, in the style of the Neo renaissance, possessed towards the place Albertplatz a well arranged front with a two floor entrace hall and well inserting figures and relief decoration. Since 1937 it became known as "theatre of the people", until it burned out during the bomb night in 1945 and was torn down in 1948.
Albrechtburg [City of Meißen],  it is besides the famous porcelain a further landmark Meissens. The Albrechtsburg is the first castle in the German-speaking countries and was built from 1471 to 1524 under the direction of Arnold of Westphalia for the owners Ernst and Albrecht von Wettin in the late gotic style.

In 1865 to 1870 the Albrechtsburg was comprehensively reorganized and restored, and two years later the interiors experienced a new artistic organization. Since the 800-years-celebrations of the Saxonian ruling family Wettin in 1889 the Albrechtsburg is used as museum.

Albrechts castles,  the 3 Albrechts castles (from west to east and from Elbperspektive listed from left to right) Schloss Albrechtsberg, Lingnerschloss (also called the mansion Villa Stockhausen) Villa Stockhausen and Schloss Eckberg are on the western end of (Upper)Loschwitz, in the transient area to the Preußischen Viertel (Prussian quarter) of the Dresden New Town.
Alte Heeresbäckerei (Old army bakery),  see Heeresbäckerei (army bakery)
Alte Kirche Klotzsche (Old Church of Klotzsche),  1321 first mention of the villagechurch in Klotzsche. In 1810/11 the today classic hall church with its two story galleries on three walls was build as replacement for the building that burned down in 1802. It contains one wooden pulpit altar composed in white an gold as well as an altar crucifix with a stand out of alabaster.
The old church belongs together with the Christ Church (Christuskirche) in Königswald to the parish Klotzsche.
Altendresdenursprünglich eine selbstständige Stadt am rechten Elbufer innerhalb der Gebietes der heutigen Inneren Neustadt. Altendresden geht vermutlich auf eine slawische Siedlung zurück und wurde 1350 erstmalig im Lehnsbuch des Markgrafen Friedrich III. der Strenge als eigenständige Siedlung Antiqua Dressdin erwähnt. 1403 erhielt der Ort ein allerdings eingeschränktes Stadtrecht und eine erstmals 1421 erstmals erwähnte eigene Pfarrkirche, aus der die heutige Dreikönigskirche hervorging.

1549 wurde Altendresden mit Dresden vereinigt. 1685 vernichtete ein Stadtbrand den nunmehrigen Stadtteil, neben wenien Wohnhäusern überstanden nur das Rathaus und der Jägerhof die Katastrophe. Der Wiederaufbau erfolgte nach Plänen des Oberlandbaumeisters Wolf Caspar von Klengel. Ein kurfürstliches Dokument nannte 1732 den im Neuaufbau befindlichen Stadtteil Neue Stadt bey Dresden, daraus entstand die Bezeichnung Neustadt. Die zentrale Straße des Stadtteiles wurde die prachtvoll aufgebaute Hauptstraße, die vom Neustädter Markt zum Schwarzen Tor führte.

Alter Annenfriedhof (Old Annen cemetery),  cemetery of the church Annenkirche at the Chemnitzer road, the larger New Annenfriedhof is at the road Kesselsdorfer Straße.
Alter Jüdischer Friedhof (Old Jewish cementery),  disposed in 1751 outside of the city and is today the oldest jewish cemetery in Saxony still in place. After opening of the new jewish cemetry in Dresden Johannstadt in 1869 the graveyard, that is situated today between Pulsnitzerstraße and Prießnitzstraße, was closed. The impressing construction with its partially wheatered and ivyentwined graves can be visited after advanced notification ().
Alter Katholischer Friedhof (Old catholic cemetery),  on the road Friedrichstraße in the quarter Friedrichstadt convenient, valuable burial places of well-known personalities.

The cemetery was created in 1721/24 for the catholic members of the Royal court, however it was used since 1738 also for civil citizens. One finds many graves of Polish emigrants, who had to flee in 1831 and found asylum in Dresden.

other pictures see Friedrichstadt

Alter Schlachthofbekannter Veranstaltungsort im Gelände eines früheren Schlachthofes an der Leipziger Straße.
Altes Gewandhaus,  see Gewandhaus [1.]
Altes Rathaus das wirklich alte mittelalterliche Rathaus aus dem 13.Jh. stand auf der nordwestlichen Fläche des Altmarktes () und wurde 1707 auf Druck August des Starken abgerissen. Das an der Nordwestseite bis 1945 befindliche sog. "Alte Rathaus" entstand 1741/45 nach Plänen Johann Christoph Knöffles durch Zusammenlegung mehrerer Wohnhäuser. Der von Baumeister Johann Gottfried Fehre durchgeführte Umbau ergab einen äußerlich einheitlichen barocken Gesamteindruck.

Heute stehen hier und auf der Fläche der benachbarten ehemaligen Löwenapotheke der als Warenhaus HOWA errichtete Kopfbau sowie ein Stück der Wohn- und Geschäftszeile der Neubebauung von 1953/54.

Altfranken see Spaecial Page Ortschaft Altfranken
Altmarkt (Old market),  central rectangular place of the city, mentions for the first time in 1370. Here stood amongst other things the famous department store Kaufhaus Renner with the first escalator in Dresden, the so called Alte Rathaus (old city hall) and other buildings in baroque style, in addition, less substantial bank building in the period of promoterism style.

After its complete destruction in 1945 the place and at its west and eastern side was enlarged in 1953-56 in the so called "Stalinbarock" style by Herbert Schneider and Johannes Rascher.

The north side was closed 1960-69 with the culture palace (Kulturpalast), the south side partly cultivates south side at the end of the 1990's.

Dem Abschluss der Südseite ist in den nächsten Jahren entgegen zu sehen: ein siebenstöckiges 4-Sterne-Hotel soll ab April 2008 an die Stelle des alten Kaufhauses Renner gebaut werden. Investor ist das Berliner Unternehmen Prajs & Drimmer.

Also in the "Stalinbarock": the old market eastern side.

On the old market takes place the Dresden Striezelmarkt (Germany's oldest Christmas market), a spring and an autumn market as well as smaller weekly markets. The so far cultivated the place is sourrounded by attractive shops and increasingly by restaurants, bars and pubs also in the external area.

Wegen des Baus einer Tiefgarage fanden 2007/08 keine Märkte auf dem Altmarkt statt. Die teilweise umstrittene Platzgestaltung nach Plänen der gmp Architekten von Gerkan, Marg und Partner erfolgte bis Herbst 2008.

Altmarkt-Galerie / Old market gallery,  in the inner court of the western land development of the Altmarkt developed in the last years an enormous shopping centre. The, during the first re-construction in the 1960's left open lanes (Tuchmacher- Scheffel- and Zahnsgasse) were now included into the existing Webergasse. Owner was the ECE Projektmanagement G.m.b.H. & Co. KG. If one regards the area historically, the gallery takes practically the entire interior of the western medieval old part of town (Altstadt), while the edges of this quarter are formed by buildings of the 1950's and 60's.

The opening took place on the 18/09/2002, the complex encloses approx. 26,000 m˛ on 4 levels, included approx. 2,000 m˛ for catering trade, services and retail trade (over 100 specialist shops).

2009/10 wird die Altmarkt-Galerie bis zur Wilsdruffer Straße erweitert. Ein neuer Haupteingang entsteht an der Ecke Postplatz, ein weiterer im Kopfbau des früheren Warenhauses am Altmarkt. Dazu wurden bzw. werden das ehemalige Warenhaus Knoop sowie das sogenannte Lindehaus abgerissen.

Altstadt / Old town  
1. Ortsamt Altstadt (municipal district)
2. Gemarkungen Altstadt I und Altstadt II (boundary)
3. Quarter Inner Old Town
   (historic town centre, area medieval Dresden)
Altstadt I see Sondertafel definition Altstadt
Altstadt II see Special Page definition Altstadt
Altstädter Rathaus,  see Altes Rathaus
Altstädter Wache (Olt town guard),  built in 1830-32 after plans by Karl Friedrich Schinkel in the style of Berlin's classicism, in 1945 destroyed and in 1955-56 rebuilt. Today the building is used by the advance booking office of the "Dresden theatres" and as a Café.
AMD Saxony, AMD Saxony Limited Liability Company & Co.KG, exists since 1997 as subsidiary company of the AMD Inc. in Dresden. The in 1996/98 established factory is considered as one of the most successful American projects of the past years in Germany and is at the same time one of the most important large se

AMD beschäftigt in Dresden ca. 3000 Mitarbeiter. ttlements after "the change" in Dresden.

To the enterprise located in Wilschdorf in the northwest of Dresden close to the motorway belongs the Fab 30 (AMDs factory, producing microprocessor Wafern) and the Dresden Design centre (DDC)as centre for product development. The AMD employs approx. 2000 workers in Dresden.

In 2003 the symbolic cut of the spade took place for the building of the new semiconductor work AMD Fab 36. The new factory is to employ approx. 1000 coworkers after commencement of production 2006.

Press release to the Fab 36

Am 29.05.2006 gab AMD Pläne bekannt, seine Fertigungs-kapazitäten für für 300-mm-Wafer in den nächsten drei Jahren auszubauen. Geplant sind ein neues Halbleiterwerk mit dem Namen AMD Fab 38, die Erweiterung der 300-mm-Kapazitäten in der bestehenden AMD Fab 36 sowie die Errichtung eines neuen Reinraumgebäudes.

Press release to the Fab 36

Am 05.03.2009 wurden die beiden Halbleiterfabriken von Globalfoundries übernommen. Hinter dieser Firma stecken Geldgeber aus den Vereinigten Arabischen Emiraten. 2600 Mitarbeiter werden von Globalfoundries übernommen, nur rund 100 bleiben bei AMD (Entwicklung)
Mit der Gründung von Globalfoundries ist AMD streng genommen kein Chiphersteller mehr. Die Amerikaner werden ihre Chips nur noch entwickeln. Die Herstellung geht an Globalfoundries über.

Amerikanische Kirche 1883/84 von F.W.O. Dögel in der Südvorstadt im neugotischen Stil errichtete dreischiffige Hallenkirche mit straßenseitig vorgesetztem Turm. Die Kirche brannte 1945 aus, Turm und Außenmauern waren aber fast unbeschädigt. Nach Ablehnung von Wiederaufbauplänen wurde die Ruine 1959 gesprengt.
AMTC,  Advanced Mask Technology Center GmbH & Co. KG,  was created in June 2002 as a joint venture in equal parts by the enterprises Advanced Micro Devises Inc., DuPont Photo-masks Inc. and Infineon Technologies AG.

With the AMTC a centre for the development and pilot production of future masks for the optical lithography, leading world-wide, was developed. Until end 2004 140 workers, above all high-specialized engineers, will work here. Customer proximity and the possible use of Know How from the wafer production were location-crucial for Dresden.

The factory was established in 2002/2003 after drafts of the HWP planning company in Stuttgart in the airport park, in direct proximity to the production plants by AMD and Infineon, in the north of Dresden.

Amtsgericht /County court,  about the earlier County court at the Sachsen Allee see regional court, the current County court is located in the road "Berliner Straße".
An der Herzogin Garten / At the duchess' garden,  at the road Ostra-Allee, a today neglected complex of the remainders of the old orangerie. After the Change efforts were made to establish futuristic buildings of cultures by Stella in spherical shape which failed however because of the protest of many Dresden inhabitants and some politicians , from today's view because of the still unused area a rather unfortunate decision.
Andreaskirche 1901/02 von Oskar Kaiser errichteter neobarocker einschiffiger Zentralbau ohne Turm. Dieser Bau war nur als Interimslösung gedacht, der 1. Weltkrieg und die folgenden Krisen verhinderten den geplanten größeren Neubau. 1945 brannte die Andreaskirche aus und wurde später bei der Enttrümmerung der Johannstadt mit abgetragen.

Die Andreaskirchgemeinde entstand 1904 wegen der gestiegenen Mitgliederzahlen durch Ausgliederung aus der Tritiatiskirchgemeinde. Nach der Zerstörung der Kirche fusionierte sie mit der Erlöserkirchgemeinde (siehe Erlöserkirche) zur Erlöser-Andreas-Kirchgemeinde, welche sich wiederum 2000 mit der Tritiatis-kirchegemeinde zur Johanneskirchgemeinde Dresden-Johannstadt-Striesen zusammenschloss.

Anglikanische Kirche "All Saint Church" 1868/69 in der Seevorstadt nah beim späteren Hauptbahnhof errichtete neugotische Kirche für die 1841 in Dresden gegründete anglikanische Gemeinde. Architekt des dreischiffigen Baus mit Querschiff und freistehendem Südturm war August Pieper, Vorbild war die Kirche St.Aubyn in London. Die Kirche wurde 1945 zerstört und 1952 abgerissen.
Annengymnasium,  see Dresden International School ()
Annenkirche (church),  built in 1764-69 by Johann George Schmidt, in 1823 the tower by Gottlob Friedrich Thormeyer, in 1823 changed by Richard Schleinitz, 1945 heavily damaged, remained the earlier suburb church of the Wilsdruffer Vorstadt, for many years without tower hood in the midst of one in the "AWG barn style" established and in the meantime in good taste reorganized post war district. In 1997 the reconstruction was finalised with the completion of the tower.
Antonstadt see Special Page Äußere Neustadt
Aphrodite fountain plastic at the place Friedrich-List-Platz, created in 1910 by George Wrba.
Apostelkirche,  Church Apostelkirche, built in 1927/29 after a draft by Oswin Hempel for the congregation Apostelgemeinde in Trachau which was separated already in 1908 from the Kaditzer church.
Arbeitsamt1. Former Employment Maternistraße 17, 1925/26 im Bauhausstil errichtet, Bauherr war das städtische Hochbauamt, leitender Architekt Paul Andrae.

In der DDR-Zeit beherbergte das Gebäude die SED-Parteischule für den Bezirk Dresden, nach der Wende fungierte es als "Haus der Kultur und Bildung", in dem u.a. das "theater 50" und das "Dresdner brett'l" beheimatet waren. 2001/02 wurde es vollständig entkernt, denkmalgerecht saniert und 2002 mit dem Theater "wechselbad" als Kongress-, Tagungs- und Kultur-zentrum wieder eröffnet.

2. jetzige Arbeitsagentur auf der Budapester Straße, ein schlichter Neubau der Nachwendezeit.

Art'otel,  1995 eröffnetes Hotel an der Ostra-Allee, seit 1999 Management unter Park Plaza, 2003 Wiedereröffnung nach großen Schäden durch das Hochwasser 2002.

Bekannt ist das Hotel u.a. wegen der markanten Figur von A.R.Penk auf der Dachspitze der Ecke Ostra-Allee/Maxstraße.

Artesian well fountain at the place Albertplatz with drinking water, the tap is at the new building behind the actual, by Hans Erlwein created fountain with its eight ionic columns on the north east corner of the place.
Arteum,  Veranstaltungsort im Waldschlösschen-Areal in den Kellern der früheren Brauerei. Zeitweise war in den Gewölben der Jazzklub "Tonne" untergebracht.
Asisi Factory,  see Panometer Dresden
Auferstehungskirche,  ev. church in Dresden-Plauen, established as a village church for the first time around 1150. After its destruction in the Hussit wars in 1429 new built, around 1700 and 1878 changed. In 1903 transformation of the interior by William Lossow and Ernst Viehweger in the style of the German Renaissance. The church with its interesting wooden arch is particularly worth an attendance during the Christmas season.

The community center 1912 were established by George Wrba in the reform style.

August der Starke,  see Friedrich August I. der Starke
Augustus bridge,  oldest bridge location of Dresden, since the 13th century as one of the oldest stone bridges of Europe occupied, first only stone columns, later replaces by bridge arches. In 1727-31 extension by Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann and Johann Gottfried Fehre, at the beginning of the 20th century a new built was necessary because of risen traffic under and on the bridge. During the construction period the tram drove over a wooden auxiliary bridge.

The building established by William Kreis and Hermann Klette protected the past optics. In 1945 the bridge was blown up by the SS and reconstructed in 1949 in the condition of 1910. From 1949 until 1990 its name was Georgij Dimitroff bridge.

Today there are efforts, to reserve it for pedestrians, after the model of the Prague "Karl bridge", at least occasionally, e.g. during festivals and celebrations.

Augustusstraße,  narrow road between the Langer Gang and the "Class House" (Ständehaus), was established in the middle of the 16th century and carried first the names Elbgasse, new Elbgasse, Brückenstraße and "Am Stall". Since the time of August the Strong it was officially called Augustuststraß, but only at the beginning of the 19th century the name Elbgasse disappeared. Today the road, famous for the "Princes course", is frequented by tourist streams and by "flying dealers" with various touristic offers.
Aussichtstürme / Observation towers,  momentarily are opened the following towers:
Ausstellungen / Exhibitions,  see Special Page exhibitions
Autobahn / motorway,  in the future 2 motorways will be tangent to Dresden: in the northwest the in 1934/37 built A4 and in the southwest the since 1998 under construction A17 to Prague.

The A4 connects Dresden in western direction with Chemnitz and/or with south and West Germany as well as starting from the triangle Wilsdruff by the branching A14 with Leipzig and Northwest Germany, in eastern direction with Goerlitz and Poland as well as starting from triangle Dresden north by the A13 beginning with Berlin and Northern Germany. On the western outskirts of the town the A17 branches towards Pirna and/or Prague at the triangle Dresden west.

The in 1936 established motorway bridge of the A4 across the river Elbe was once a modern plain truss girder construction of steel, storing on granite columns. During the reconstruction works which had become necessary it was replaced in 1999 by a broader prestressed concrete bridge resting on the same columns.

The motorway A17 at the south border of Dresden, which will connect the Saxonian state capital with Prague, still under construction. The route was disputed for a long time, the close-to-the-city version was the most preferred.

In the Dresden city area some tunnels and bridge construction works belong to the motorway, the bridge across the Zschonergrund (230 m), which in open building method established tunnel under the Altfrankener Park (345 m), those from two tunnel tubes (tunnel Dölzschen 1070 m, tunnel Coschütz 2332 m) emerge above the Plauen ground (Plauenschen Grund) (220 m) as well as the bridge across the Lockwitz ground (723 m), the longest in the city.

Äußere Neustadt see Special Page Äußere Neustadt
Äußerer Plauenscher Friedhof (Outer Plauen cemetery),  cemetery of the congregation of the church called Auferstehungskirche Dresden-Plauen, located at the upper part of Plauen at the road Bernhardstraße, close to the border to Coschütz.